Saturday, October 13, 2012

Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish Church, Playa del Carmen


Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, Playa del Carmen
The parish where I first saw joining the Catholic Church a real, feasible action was the parish church of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Playa del Carmen (Paroquia de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe.)  This church (both the building and the people) holds a special place in my heart.  It was (and still is) like a home along the journey.  Perhaps it could be compared to Rivendell somewhat; it's not the destination of the journey, nor is it Paradise or even the most important place in the journey, but it has offered me a place and time of rest, consolation and safety along an otherwise perilous road.

Nestled in the middle of Playa del Carmen's first (and least reputable) slum, its off-white steeple with stain-glassed windows rises above half-built concrete homes with fiberglass roofs, haphazard stores, taco carts and greasy little restaurants where thick smoke pours out of the chimneys from the chicken roasters.

The building itself is beautiful.  This is not because of the contrast to the slum around it; in fact, it would probably be more beautiful standing by itself or in a large spacious yard so you could actually see the whole thing.  But the surrounding neighbourhood is part of the church, as the church is part of it.  Many of the people who worship there live in these homes and the parish offers (to all who seek it) care, education, teaching in the Faith, blessings and the Sacraments of the Church.  The old Irish priest who started the parish about 20 years ago is respected and called "Father" by everyone I know of.  My point is; the parish and the community are inseparable.


Likewise, the building and the beautiful things which have happened there are closely bound to each other.

I think the building would be described as a neo-mission style. (Excuse the out-of-focus images; I'm getting used to using a completely manual lense.)

The Sanctuary

The main image, below the crucifix, is the Virgin of Guadalupe (patroness of the parish, and, of course, Mother of the Church), the Virgin Mary as she appeared to a native at the time of the Spanish Conquest. On each side of the image of the Virgin, you will see:


Christ as a Child with St. Joseph (the patron of our family.)

St. Juan Diego, the native Mexican to whom the Virgin Mary appeared.
 For nearly 2 decades the church was without windows.  Now, little by little, stained glass is being installed:

The steeple, looking south.
The 8 windows in the steeple and the two windows below it depict the story of the Virgin of Guadalupe appearing to St. Juan Diego.  The large one in the picture above shows the Virgin Mary giving the saint roses.  The bishop had been doubting that these appearances actually happened, so the Virgin Mary gave the roses as a sign to be brought to the bishop; at that time roses didn't exist in the area where the appearance took place (Mexico City), so the only explanation could be a miracle.

St. Juan Diego, showing the roses to the doubters. (Below the steeple, south)
Archangel Michael (north side, next to the sanctuary)

This is newest stained glass image, installed this summer, entitled, "Who is like God?"  The words of the Archangel Michael as he casts Satan from Heaven, who had claimed to be like God. (The anguished face of Satan is hidden behind the woman singing in the choir.  But you can see his wings.)

East end, opposite the sanctuary
This image is also dear to our family; St. Joseph, Christ and the Virgin Mary as the Holy Family.

The lower row of windows throughout the nave of the church still do not have glass; however, the upper row of 12 windows (6 on each side) offers some of the titles of the Virgin Mary.  My favourite is this one:

 "Refuge of Sinners" 
One of the Stations of the Cross

One of the confessionals (There's one on each side, near the back entrance.  Confession is heard during Mass.)

A view from the main entrance, looking towards the sanctuary.

The main entrance.
 The tables in the foreground are where homeless people, low-income workers eat during the week.

Side entrance (north side)
West end of the building.

Another image of the face of the Virgin of Guadalupe can be seen above the windows of the church offices.  The blue tarp is the area where people eat breakfast after Mass. (It's redundant and pointless to call it "socializing" or "fellowship;" for Mexicans every time you eat it's socializing and fellowship!)

This area is actually the plaza which serves primarily as the patio for the parish school, of which I didn't take pictures.  The school will need a post in itself.

6 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon you blog and have been scrolling thru it amazed at the similarities of our paths. I too live in Mexico and the blog about not coming here because you might find love was dead on, along with the Facebook blog (I too gave up because I was forgetting about one of the most appealing traits of living in Mexico and that being the simpleness and ability to just get away). I now have more time to focus my attention on the parrilla.
    I had a wild hair and decided to give cheese making a try as well, I was going to see if you could send me your G.Parents recipe? Once again good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Trey,

      Sorry for taking so long to reply. My recently born twins and a recent trip back to Mexico had kept me fairly busy. We are currently back in Canada. We're not sure how permanent or temporary this will be.

      It's amazing that we've shared so many similarities. I'd love to find out more about your story. Maybe you'd do a guest post?

      I've been meaning to ask my parents for their cheese recipe for a while. Another person on this blog has been asking! I keep forgetting. I'll try to remember and do another post with the recipe.

      Delete
  2. Does someone know the telephone number for this church

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lost the phone number, but I found this one on line: (984) 859-4091.

      I hope that works.

      Delete
  3. Hi!

    I'll be going to Mexico for vacation in April 2014 and I was researching parishes I'd be able to attend Mass at. Stumbled across your blog. I realize this is an old entry, but so happy to see you're still updating the blog. Those "recently born twins" must be toddlers now! :)

    God bless. Thanks for the tip. Methinks I'll attend this church as it looks to be closest to where we're staying and you reviewed it so well. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina,

      I saw your other post and replied there, including my Facebook user and other info. Yes, the "newborns" are now very energetic toddlers who ensure that there is never a dull moment in our home! So much joy!

      This is a good choice for a parish to attend while on vacation. I will only add two quick reminders; one is that it's 100% in Spanish. Of course, Mass is Mass, regardless of the language. Both priests speak English (one is Irish, the other is American,) so you can easily chat with them afterwards if you have questions. There are always a few parishioners around who speak English as well - a handful of expats and some Mexicans. There is an English-speaking parish in town, but for some reason they have Mass way back from the beach in an obscure/half-completed church building. I'm not too sure why, There is a nice little parish downtown, but there the priests don't speak any English at all, and (imho) Our Lady of Guadalupe is a more beautiful building. So, in the end, I would say this parish (that I write about here) is probably the best choice.

      The other reminder is that it's in the middle of a slum-like neighbourhood. I've never felt unsafe there, nor do any of the expats I know, but some tourists might not like it because the neighbourhood is rather unsightly, as I describe in the post above. Of course, you can take a taxi right from your hotel to the door of the church. (If you tell any taxi driver "the church in Colosio" they will know what you mean.) Or, if you don't feel comfortable with that, then the downtown parish would be the best choice.

      I see you included a link to your own blog, which has a "contact" page (which I should also have here.) I will send you a message with some more info.

      Delete