Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Tortilla Factory in Detroit - A Little Taste of Mexico for a Canadian Child

A package of tortillas from Detroit.
While much of what I've written about my experience living in Mexico as a Canadian has focused on the past few years of my life - when I've actually been living in Mexico - my Mexican experience actually goes back to my very early childhood.  During my entire life, my parents have made several trips a year to Detroit's Mexican community to buy authentic tortillas, mazapans, canned enchilada sauce, and other authentic Mexican products.  Since Detroit has by far the largest Mexican population anywhere nearby, it also has the best supply of items straight from Mexico.  My parents continue this habit to this day.

In fact, a week or two ago, I went to Detroit with my dad again.  We bought 100 packages of tortillas; my parents freeze them and heat them as they need them, in the microwave or stove top.  The freezing part seems absurd to any Mexicans I mention it to.  But the tortillas are cheap, and very authentic, made directly from soaked, ground up corn, rather than the instant "Maseca" brand corn flour which is even become standard practice in many parts of Mexico.

I remember the tortilla factory looking small and sketchy, like the rest of the community. The tortilla factory is now very successful, likewise reflecting the community's extreme transformation, which is currently an island of radiant and hopeful success in what is otherwise a decaying and lifeless city (the old part of Detroit.)

More on this community to come.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you guys were in Detroit while I was here. My dad came for semana santa, so I was entertaining. Jacob, there is a pretty good Pan de Dulce shop there too if you can find it. Did you guys venture very far into the city? Prob not! Well, Cecelia has now officially been to Michigan. Just remind her that I am from a town of about 8000 people about an hour north of the ruins. Hope all is well. It's hotter than blazes here. My dad told me today that it was 9.5 celsius in my hometown today. We may be up that way later this summer. If we are, I'll introduce Caro to Kitchner-Waterloo. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that your dad was there. We didn't venture far into the city. I was actually alone with my dad. Cecy was pretty tired, and preferred to stay home with the kids.

    My parents are fairly cautious of that city (perhaps rightly so) and generally arrive on their mission of getting Mexican goods, and leave pretty directly. As I'm sure you know, the Mexican neighborhood is directly beside the bridge to Canada - you can see it coming over the bridge. They do typically stop for a meal at a restaurant called "Mexican Village."

    I think I know where the Pan Dulce shop is you mentioned, but I've never been there. Do they sell tamales, by any chance?

    I'm planning a trip with Cecy in the late summer. That would be a great time to meet up if you guys are here.

    Just remember, if Caro wants to come to Canada, she now needs a Canadian visa (I'm not happy about it, but not much we can do.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm MExican and I freeze the Tortillas too :) And bread, and.. well. Now that Tortillas is part of the diet my little one follows ( corn is allowed thanks GOD!). We have tons of tortillas in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete